This is the highest body of the college. Principal is the Chairman of the Council. Members of the Academic Council are the Director of the Sher-E-Bangla Medical College Hospital (SBMCH), Vice-Principal, Head of Departments, all Professors, two senior-most Associate Professors (one from pre-clinical & another from clinical), two senior-most Assistant Professors (one from pre-clinical & another from clinical) and two elected students’ representatives. This body monitors and maintains control of the campus in order to ensure a smooth progress of the academic activities. It also refers the disciplinary matters to the Disciplinary Committee to take disciplinary actions against those who violate any rule or regulation of the college or of discipline.
- To discuss and make recommendations on all aspects of academic affairs of the College that they may be brought before the Council by the Principal.
- To discuss and make recommendations in order to maintain good academic atmosphere of the College campus.
- To discuss and make recommendations as regards Medical education, curriculum and courses of students (for graduate & post graduate) as and when subjects are brought before the Council by the Principal.
Activities of the Academic Council:
- The Principal will call the academic Council meeting preferably on every month. The Principal may however call a meeting of the Council at any time if any emergency arises.
- Recommendations of the Academic Council will be implemented by the Principal as far as possible. Recommendation which are beyond the scope of implementation by the principal will be forwarded to the higher authority concerned.
- All recommendations of the Academic Council should be done on considerations.